The Official Review Thread - Spoilers allowed!

Discussion on the new Star Wars film taking place after Return of the Jedi
viper2843
Administrator

The Official Review Thread - Spoilers allowed!

Post by viper2843 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:40 am

Post your reviews and thoughts here!

Some example questions to stimulate discussion:
  • When did you see it?
  • Did you see it in IMAX? 3D?
  • What were the crowds like? Lots of costumes?
  • What did you think of JJ's direction?
  • Did you think it was a reboot?
viper2843
Webmaster
The Jedi Council

Jedi Jin Su

Re: The Official Review Thread - Spoilers allowed!

Post by Jedi Jin Su » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:30 pm

All very good questions. I saw it yesterday, the 20th. The theater was full but not too bad. Of course I went for reserved seating to be on the safe side. All the seats were sold out at the reserved theater I went to. I thought this was an excellent film. The pacing was very good. That is something all of the other films struggled with at times. I thought JJ did a great job with blending the original trilogy with the new story. I also thought he did a great job of incorporating women and diversity into the cast which has been an issue in the past for all the Star Wars movies.

I saw it on what is called an Ultra Screen, whatever that is compared to IMAX. It was not 3D. I went to Bistro and a movie which is where they serve you dinner/lunch with your movie so the theater was a different capacity. Some people were super snobby about how much they knew about Star Wars and I personally felt that if they were sitting by me I would shoot them. Luckily I was not. I suppose you get that with every franchise from Harry Potter to Lord of the Rings. The costumes I saw mostly on kids, the leftover costumes from Halloween. Because I went to a matinee there were many more parents with kids. According to the statistics I read most of the tickets were in the 18-49 ranges so older movie goers may not have gone yet or are waiting for the first weekend crowds to thin out. Most of the theaters around here were sold out for the first few days and the tickets are got were some of the last for Sunday.

I really liked how they passed the story from the older characters to the new ones and did not feel it hindered the story at all. I really like how they dealt with the force.

I did not understand the situation though with the Republic. I may not have watched enough clone wars or something but I thought the Republic won and were in charge so maybe I missed a beat there. As Leia being the head of the Resistance did not make sense to me as she should be in charge of the Republic.

The people I went with did not think the bad guy(s)-Ky Lo Ren and Snokes and even "Supreme Leader" was/were all that scary but I could see where they were going with the parallels with Anakin, Vader, Luke, etc.

What did everyone think? I really liked the small but meaningful references to clone troopers vs storm troopers and some of the subtle references to Obi Wan Kenobi and other beloved characters, also the montage with voices and flashbacks we see was interesting.
"Always remember, your focus determines your reality."-Qui Gon Jinn, Jedi Master

viper2843
Administrator

Post by viper2843 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:35 pm

It has taken me a while to digest my first viewing, here are my thoughts.

I saw the film on December 18th. I went with my brother to a 4PM showing. I saw it in IMAX 3D even thought the posters said only some of the scenes were shot in 3D. I am not a big 3D fan but I decided to make an exception for Star Wars. The theater did not have reserved seating so I got there an hour before just to be safe. I got great seats.

I really enjoyed the film. I understand some people's thoughts that it just a rehash of ANH but I think that is a bit of a naive take on the film. Fin and Rey are fantastic. I am really looking forward to see where their characters will be taken. They are dynamic and energetic and quite funny. Seeing Han and Leia again was very fun. I sort of expected to see Han die. Harrison Ford has wanted his character to die since ROTJ so I figured that was coming. It was a fitting end and it sets up the next movies to be all about the new characters. I was a bit surprised to see that Luke was really only in the last few minutes. Definitely raises a lot of questions about what's next.

Kylo Ren was a decent bad guy. Definitely didn't see the Han and Leia's son thing coming. That was cool. I like how he is not really in control of his feelings/the force. Rather than channel the force he just rips up a control room with his lightsaber. I think that is a good angle. He clearly didn't get the training he needed. I will have to hold judgement on Supreme Leader Snoke since he was in the film so little.

I thought JJ Abrams did a great job with this film, it was well paced, and true to the Star Wars saga. I am also happy that he not directing the next film. We need to continue to spread out the talent in all areas to make sure it stays fresh. Do I think it was a reboot? A little. It does continue the story but it has a reset feel to it as well.

I am not sure I understand why we had to rename the Rebels the Resistance and the Empire the New Order. It just seemed unnecessary.

Was it the best of the franchise? No. I still think ANH and TESB are the best. But this one is a welcomed addition to the Star Wars saga. Bring on Rogue One! :-)
viper2843
Webmaster
The Jedi Council

Jedi Jin Su

Post by Jedi Jin Su » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:52 pm

I thought you had a very good review. I recently saw an interview with George Lucas saying that he was unhappy with the new movie. He said he did not like it because it was too much like ANH and the old movies and did not incorporate enough of the the Jedi information from Episodes 1-3.

While it is his story, I think JJ did a good job of incorporating a lot of the old and new and I can see where it is going on a few levels. One thing I did not get was with Leia being a general in the resistance. If the Empire has fallen and the New Republic is in place, and the New Order is somewhat of a dark side terrorist group, then would Leia not be part of the New Republic? That was the part I did not understand. I do not think the movie explained it either.
"Always remember, your focus determines your reality."-Qui Gon Jinn, Jedi Master

Jedi Jin Su

Post by Jedi Jin Su » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:14 pm

SPOILER ALERT***

SuperBroMovies was the first to spot an Amazon listing for a Star Wars: The Force Awakens 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle in a collectible tin. That in itself isn’t the exciting part (unless you really like jigsaw puzzles), but the image on the puzzle is of Finn (John Boyega) and the listing explicitly describes him as Lando Calrissian’s son. Lando, of course, was the former owner of the Millennium Falcon: a suave gambler and smuggler who eventually joined the Rebel Alliance. Calrissian was played by Billy Dee Williams, who has hinted that he may make an appearance in the new slate of Star Wars movies.

This is no way a confirmation or denial of Finn's parentage but it is interesting speculation.

In addition here is a tentative listing of movies that are slated so far:
Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens hits theaters on December 18th, 2015, followed by Rogue One: A Star Wars Story on December 16th, 2016, Star Wars: Episode VIII on May 26th, 2017, and the Han Solo Star Wars Anthology film on May 25th, 2018. Star Wars: Episode IX is expected to reach theaters in 2019, followed by the third Star Wars Anthology film in 2020.

Some of this may be older news to everyone but I thought I would post it to keep everyone up to date that we know so far. There may be updates from this I have not seen.