Chewbacca is back!

Discussion on the new Star Wars film taking place after Return of the Jedi
Jedi Jin Su

Chewbacca is back!

Post by Jedi Jin Su » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:36 pm

We know Luke, Han and Leia will be there along with the beloved droids R2D2 and C3P0 but Peter Mayhew will be playing Chewbacca in the upcoming Star Wars moving. This will be interesting. How old can a Wookie be? Go Chewbacca!
"Always remember, your focus determines your reality."-Qui Gon Jinn, Jedi Master

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Re: Chewbacca is back!

Post by Jedi Power » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:58 pm

The Hollywood Reporter is a pretty solid source even though this hasn't been officially confirmaed by Lucasfilm or Disney.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage
"You've taken your first step into a larger world"
http://galactic-voyage.com

Jedi Jin Su

Post by Jedi Jin Su » Fri May 09, 2014 2:22 pm

Oh ye of little faith! Now we know Chewbacca is on board the ship... so there. Wookies rule! Let the wookie win! :atat: :r2d2: :threepio: :leia:
"Always remember, your focus determines your reality."-Qui Gon Jinn, Jedi Master

viper2843
Administrator

Post by viper2843 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:02 pm

You can't have Han without Chewie! This time they need to give him a medal. :D
viper2843
Webmaster
The Jedi Council

Wildstar

Post by Wildstar » Tue May 13, 2014 5:29 pm

Jedi Jin Su wrote:We know Luke, Han and Leia will be there along with the beloved droids R2D2 and C3P0 but Peter Mayhew will be playing Chewbacca in the upcoming Star Wars moving. This will be interesting. How old can a Wookie be? Go Chewbacca!
Wookiees can live as long as Yoda, at least judging from the existing EU. I forgot in what part of the EU Chewie was killed off, but I remember reading around the time of the novel's release (and I do want to say it was part of the NJO series) that Chewie was around 900 standard years old at the time of his death.

Jedi Jin Su

Post by Jedi Jin Su » Fri May 23, 2014 7:42 am

Wow! I did not know they lived that long. :threepio:

Wildstar

Post by Wildstar » Tue May 27, 2014 12:16 am

OK, I finally had the thought to consult the Wookieepedia on Chewie's age @ death: 225 (born 200 BBY)

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Thu May 29, 2014 3:07 pm

Well, and now that the EU isn't the timeline anymore and Chewy is alive at the time of Episode VII, who knows how long he will live.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

Jedi Jin Su

Post by Jedi Jin Su » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:56 am

That seems really old even for a wookie, 225? Wow.

I did hear that they got rid of the need to follow the EU and they are just using whatever story they want. It is just easier. My question is this. We know they are also making a stand alone movie as that is already being put together, will that become part of the EU or use other characters or should we just enjoy the fact that Disney wants to use Star Wars as a back drop for their own evil empire?

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:26 pm

So they have confirmed three spinoff films. Two already have directors. Everything moving forward is cannon. There won't be anymore EU as we know it. All books, games, comics, TV shows, and films will all be cannon. They have a established a story group to weave the story elements into all these forms of storytelling. The new Rebels TV show will have some connections with Episode VII according to Dave Filoni. Even the short stories in the Star Wars Insider magazine will be part of cannon now. It all started with the Blade Squadron short story in issues #149 & #150. It is kind of fun to see how there will be a consistent thread with all these elements.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

Jedi Jin Su

Post by Jedi Jin Su » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:14 pm

Always ahead of me with the information! I should have read this thread first. Cannon is a matter of opinion from what I have read though. Some of the EU counts and some doesn't, and some of the storylines will work and some won't. I personally think they will do what they want and we will just have to enjoy it or not as we see fit.