Galactic Voyage...Gone!

Discuss anything about Star Wars on the Net.

Should Galactic Voyage Stay Gone?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:35 pm

Yes. See ya!
9%
No. Keep it going.
91%

Total votes: 11

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:14 am

The host is called Hostonce at http://www.hostonce.com/ out of Oakleigh East, Vic Australia. (I believe Viper used them for a while) When I signed up with them several years ago, they offered unlimited space and bandwidth. They changed their prices and their package to cost more for a lot less. All those who had been there were grandfathered and still had the great resources.

After May's huge amount of bandwidth downloading, they dropped me like a rock without notice. In order to get the great price rate, I paid in advance for a year. So, I lost several months of hosting and when I have repeatedly e-mailed asking for a refund on the unused portion of my hosting package, I have not gotten any response. So yeah! I would say they suck pretty bad to pull a stunt like that!! I am now hosted in the U.S. with less resources, but I feel I will have a stronger chance for recourse if they pull the same stunt.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage
"You've taken your first step into a larger world"
http://galactic-voyage.com

viper2843
Administrator

Post by viper2843 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:46 pm

HostOnce was my first host and they treated me very well. The only problem was that it was windows hosting and I needed Unix/Linux hosting for some of the things I was doing. I am suprised they just dropped you like that. I was pretty happy with them. Oh well, I guess I won't recommend them anymore. :D
viper2843
Webmaster
The Jedi Council

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:03 am

yeah, I wouldn't trust a web hosting company from Australia. Bloody useless those Aussies are... bloody convicts.... :)

There actual servers are in the USA. I dont really think it matters where your hosted, the chances of trying to get something out of a Web Host after something like this has happened aint good. They will just point you to there "Terms and Conditions" and "Exceptable Usage" policies where they have a disclaimer for about everything. Who reads that crap anyway.

Hopefully, everything will be smooth sailing for you now JP.
Regards, Rob (aka - Jedi Rob)
http://www.webmastersoftheforce.com

Rebel Racer

Post by Rebel Racer » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:24 am

I like the new design, but the sound doesn't turn off. I hit the "on/off" switch, but it starts right back up when it gets to the part where it loops, or whatever. You're probably well aware of this.
Come one, come all, Kongregate!

ARC Ranger

Post by ARC Ranger » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:24 pm

Stupid pricks!!!!!!! I would think the hits would be good for business. Sue em if they dont give u a refund. They probaly would settle this fast if they heard you were taking them to court.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:14 am

I have never been able to get them to return my e-mails. I guess I will just lose out on those extra months. It would cost more than it is worth to sue and I am sure there is some paperwork loop hole for them somewhere.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

viper2843
Administrator

Post by viper2843 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:29 pm

That's interesting. Host Once refunded me for the time I didn't use my contract. Are you contacting them via email or their help system. If your not using the help system you should try.
viper2843
Webmaster
The Jedi Council

Wedge Antilles

Post by Wedge Antilles » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:41 pm

Some companies just have a support center so they can read through and laugh at people's misfortune. Had problems with several of those.
But keep trying JP, they have to get back to you eventually. If possible, try contacting someone else who uses them, and try to stir up some trouble by warning them, or asking them if they know if its happened before. Never know.

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:12 pm

I've used all the e-mail contacts I have there and the help system. No reply. I think they were just unhappy I had so much traffic and they were footing the bill.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage