Revamped Galactic Voyage

Discuss anything about Star Wars on the Net.

How do you like the new site?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:41 am

I love it!
82%
It is okay.
9%
I liked the other design better.
9%

Total votes: 11

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Revamped Galactic Voyage

Post by Jedi Power » Mon May 16, 2005 7:41 am

This week marks the release of the latest (and last) Star Wars movie, so I felt it fitting to completely re-vamp Galactic Voyage for the occasion. Some of you have already seen the design, but this is not just another re-skin. I had been basically using the same website design that I began with in 1999 up until now.

When i finish, I will have a fresh new design that will be much eaiser to change in the future now that I am actually using CSS. The navigation should be much eaiser to use and there will be some new things. The theme also goes right in line with the movie, so I hope that you will join me this week as I release the new site.

I am still working on the last pages to finish before the movie, but I would look for it either tomorrow or no later than Wednesday. Then you can vote as to what you think about the changes. Take care!
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage
"You've taken your first step into a larger world"
http://galactic-voyage.com

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Wed May 18, 2005 12:58 pm

Well, the new and improved Galactic Voyage is up! It has been a long time in coming, but all of the work has paid off I think. I would like to give a special thank you to Kevin Graham of our staff who came up with the template for the site. If you see any broken links or a misdirected page, please let me know. Also, tell me what you think about the site!

If anyone is using Netscape or Firefox, I would love to hear from you. I want to make sure those users can see the news and other features, because I have had problems with those browsers in the past. Only a little more than 10 hours to go! See you at Midnight! Enjoy the site and the movie.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

Wedge Antilles

Post by Wedge Antilles » Wed May 18, 2005 10:07 pm

Nice one. The music's a good addition. Not sure about the continuous breathing though.

Jedi Jin Su

Post by Jedi Jin Su » Thu May 19, 2005 4:37 am

I tried to turn the sound off but it just turned itself back on. The layout is cool. I did think the casual visitor might not go through all the menus though.

I liked it, but that is me.
"Always remember, your focus determines your reality."-Qui Gon Jinn, Jedi Master

Darth Unrivaled

Post by Darth Unrivaled » Thu May 19, 2005 4:21 pm

It needs alot of work man. The music flash template doesnt work right. The music turns on and off and after a while it gest on your nerves. But thats just me. You should have it set to off and if visitors want it on they can turn it on.

You really need to fix the links. Why do you use spaces in your file names? You shouldnt do that. If you want space then us _ so instead of Episode 3 pictures use episode3_picutres. It looks better and it easy for people to remember the urls. Same thing with that you shouldnt really use caps like that, the urls should be in all lowercase.

The coding is ok. It could be better. The menu has bugs in IE and even in firefox and the graphics for the roll overs could be better done. The color seem looks nice but could use a better set of colors.

Overall its a bit better, but I liked the other layout you had before.

viper2843
Administrator

Post by viper2843 » Thu May 19, 2005 7:05 pm

Woah! Talk about an in-depth review! He looked at the code! :lol: :shock: :D I really like the design. It looks great. Minus the flash music bug everything is awsome. To Darth Unrivaled I say this: his filenames may be long but the content is always there and that is what makes Galactic Voyage such a great site to visit. I think I can live with spaces in the url. :D Great site Jedi Power!!!
viper2843
Webmaster
The Jedi Council

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Thu May 19, 2005 7:47 pm

The only reason I go with the spaces is because I didn't know better back in 1999 when I was still learning. Now the problem is that all of the search engines have me listed with the bad URLs. I thought hard about making them much cleaner and eaiser, but it would have made most of my links as dead links from the search engines. That would mean little to no traffic. Yesterday alone I had 345,407 hits to the site. People are just now after all of these years really finding Galactic Voyage. I just didn't want to ruin that. It was a decison I had to make I think.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

Darth Unrivaled

Post by Darth Unrivaled » Fri May 20, 2005 7:23 am

There are many ways to fix it. Searchs only index pages that are updated. After a while if they aren't updates they are dropped from the index listing. You can either make all the new urls, and leave the old ones up and just make them redrict to the new pages or remove them all together and just add this to all your pages:

Code: Select all

<meta name="robots" content="all, index, follow" />
<meta name="revisit-after" content="1 days" />
That will force the search bots to index your new pages right way. Another thing you could do is set you your 404 error to when they visit one of the dead pages it sends them to your home page instead of the basic 404 error page. The best thing would to do it little but little, that will give the search engines time to index the new links and repace them with the old.

And I do give long reviews when I review web sites. Check out my review database to see what I mean. http://www.xfiresystems.com/databanks/reviews

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Fri May 20, 2005 7:43 am

You said the menus have bugs in IE and Firefox. Could you elaborate more on that please? What was wrong or not working properly?
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

Jedi Jin Su

Post by Jedi Jin Su » Fri May 20, 2005 7:45 am

I completely disagree with Darth Unrivaled. I have been programming since 1993 and I had my own company for several years. Keep the links the way they are. NO ONE looks at the code who is a casual web surfer. I understand he was being very thorough and I am sure you very much appreciate that but there is no reason to change it now.

Aside from the music shut off I think it is very good. My only observation is that if I want to turn off the music, say at work, it doesn't stay off.

Also if I am a casual surfer, I might not look at all the menus, since before you had them listed in a side bar. However, you have the traffic to prove me wrong so keep it. I know I like it. :)

But hey, where is the new Coruscant Courier?? I can't make any Jedi Drinks! Ok, my complaining is done.

How does one submit a wallpaper to you?
"Always remember, your focus determines your reality."-Qui Gon Jinn, Jedi Master

Darth Unrivaled

Post by Darth Unrivaled » Fri May 20, 2005 7:57 am

Some times the menu goes up and not down, it only seems to do it in IE. It happen one time in firefox but it hasnt seem to do it anymore.

To Jedi Jin Su, I dont see what you disagree with me with. Trust me if you have a good fan base of people coming to your site if you change all the links to your site will not hurt you one bit, maybe a little.

I'm sorry that you do feel that way, but I have been programing in HTML for a long time, maybe not as long but I know what I am talking about. Browsers are the ones reading the code and if your coding is bad your site will look bad. Its that simple, I review web sites so I looked at the code.

Disagree with me or not it makes no differents as its Jedi Power's site and all I am tell him is there are ways to change your links with out looking any traffic. If he choose to not change them then that is him and only him.

I am just putting in my two cents.

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Fri May 20, 2005 9:38 am

I am working on the CC right now as a matter of fact. :D Yesterday was movieday and I really didn't do anything site related. I didn't realize that the music came back on, so I am looking into that problem. If you want to submit anything, you can just send me an e-mail. Just be sure to have a subject line that lets me know it is a wallpaper or something. Otherwise it might get filtered out. Thanks!
:stardestroyer:
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

Jedi Jin Su

Post by Jedi Jin Su » Fri May 20, 2005 12:28 pm

I am not saying you don't have HTML programming background Darth Unrivaled. You clearly do know your programming stuff. I just was referring to the casual Star Wars fan. You and I might look at a link or something but the casual computer user still doesn't understand link names and URLs.

I agree simple is best and if he can change them I am sure he will but with search engines often times it takes a lot longer than it should to get the robots and spiders to catch up to you. I only disagree with you that he has to totally change it back to the old way. I see nothing wrong with the new pages. Just a bit of tweaking.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Obi-Wan Kenobi » Fri May 20, 2005 5:12 pm

I like it, I think it's more organized becuase you don't have so many links on the side.

What I don't like? The music and sound. I never like music or sounds on websites because I'm usually listening to music while I'm on the comp anyways. And the music loops and repeats quickly anyways. So I say either get the on/off button to work or do away with the sounds all together.

Other than that I like it much. Good work.
http://obiwankenobi29.tripod.com
You were the Chosen One! It was said that you would, destroy the Sith, not join them.
Anakin: I hate you!
Obi-Wan: You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you.

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Fri May 20, 2005 10:12 pm

I am just astounded!!! I had about 4 million hits in the month of May back in 2002 when AOTC came out, but this month is totally rocking! Yesterday alone I had 581,036 hits! I am sure good search engine placement and I hope the new design are a few of the factors. Now if I could just make a little money from the site, I wouldn't have to pay the bills to keep it running. :wink:
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage