Feedback Needed for Galactic Voyage

Discuss anything about Star Wars on the Net.

Do you think a Flash video of Ships and Characters makes the information more interesting?

Yes.
100%
No.
No votes
I don't really care.
No votes

Total votes: 5

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Feedback Needed for Galactic Voyage

Post by Jedi Power » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:33 pm

As I approach the 7th birthday of working on Galactic Voyage, I noticed that some of my original pages in the Ships and Characters section are outdated.

This is mainly due to the completion of the movie series and the growth of the Expanded Universe. I am in need of updating these pages, so I thought while I was at it I might try something a little new.

Here is where you all come in...

I thought about making the pages a little more "Interactive." Not in that the user can really do anything, but that I use Macromedia Flash to help with the Ship or Character.

The idea is that if you go to say the Millennium Falcon page, not only will you get the information and a picture of that ship, but now there may be multiple pictures to see and a Flash video that will load showing the Falcon in action.

As a fan, would you like this?

Does it make it more interesting?

At this time no one else including the Official Star Wars Site is doing anything like that. It would be a slow and tedious process, but I think it would be cool.

What is your opinion? All feedback is welcome!
:stardestroyer:
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage
"You've taken your first step into a larger world"
http://galactic-voyage.com

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:56 pm

Here is the Millennium Falcon Flash file I created to update the Falcon Ship page.

***WARNING***

It will grow to fit your browser window, but it is not supposed to be that large. It will distort the image. Reduce the window for a better picture.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

Jedi Jin Su

Post by Jedi Jin Su » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:10 am

Actually that was pretty cool. I wouldn't do it with all the ships or characters but certainly I would do it with a lot of the ones you can.
"Always remember, your focus determines your reality."-Qui Gon Jinn, Jedi Master

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:14 am

I would not be able to do them all because I am mostly limited to Ships and Characters that were found in the movies. But I would like to do as many as possible over time.

So you don't think I should do that many Jin Su?
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

viper2843
Administrator

Post by viper2843 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:02 am

I like the idea. Brings some cool multimedia content to the site and shows people exactly where they were in the films. :D
viper2843
Webmaster
The Jedi Council

Glenn B

Post by Glenn B » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:48 pm

I think It's a great idea. The Falcon example looks good, is that the size they are gonna be?

Craig

Post by Craig » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:41 pm

The idea sounds good but I would be carefull not to make the Flash prevent quick viewing of the page. By that I mean don't make it, say, essential to view the Flash file before viewing the info on the page. That would prevent people like me, without broadband, from using the site because of the inconvenience of having to wait for it to download.

I'd comment on the Flash, but all I get this time is a blank page. I wanted to look at it the other day but didn't have the time to wait for the download and whent offline.

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:12 pm

If you look at the current Millennium Falcon Page, (follow link on Transports Page) the Flash movie will be where the Falcon image is now. I intend to keep it roughly the same size. I also have it set with a pre-loader so that if you choose to wait you can, but the informational content will be there along with the image showing the loading percentage.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

Craig

Post by Craig » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:16 pm

I expected that it'd be something that you'd think of but thought I'd mention it anyway. Well done.

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:18 pm

Thanks! 8)
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

Jedi Jin Su

Post by Jedi Jin Su » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:30 am

I am with Craig on this. Perhaps my set up is older (only a few years mind you but it is still a huge difference compared to many) and the Millenium Falcon took a while to load and I have a Cable/Modem hook up.

I would do some of the really great ones and mix it with some smaller unknown ones. You always have amazing information so mixing the two medias could be neat.
"Always remember, your focus determines your reality."-Qui Gon Jinn, Jedi Master

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:45 pm

I have updated the Millennium Falcon Page, (follow link on Transports Page) to include the Flash movie.

I will make an official announcement on the Galactic Voyage birthday, but first I need to try to create 1 or 2 more updated pages with video. You can see how it will really look now.

I have also included a tag line to get the Divx codec for those that do not have it.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:07 pm

I just realised that I had the Divx watermark on the video. I have since configured it to be off and reworked the Flash file. It looks a lot more clean now.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage