Web Sites That Have Become One With The Force

Discuss anything about Star Wars on the Net.
Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Web Sites That Have Become One With The Force

Post by Jedi Power » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:32 pm

I mentioned this a little in another thread, but I wanted to start a new topic to find out some of your favorite sites that have become one with the Force and are no longer with us.

A lot of quality sites have come and gone. Here are a few of the ones I remember liking, but are no longer with us.

Binary Sunset
Aldera.net
JedisCouncil.com
Alderaan Online
The Jedis.net
SSSWW.com
Bounty Hunters Inc.
Hydrospanner
The Escape Pod

What are some of your past favorites?
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage
"You've taken your first step into a larger world"
http://galactic-voyage.com

Wildstar

Post by Wildstar » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:12 pm

This goes back a ways, but I remember "Lori's Star Wars Page", which was basically a hot chick showing off her Star Wars collection. I think Xoom eventually shut it down b/c it was getting too many hits.

An older site that is still up is the "Star Wars Pants Page". The idea of the site is to take lines from the movies and substitute a word in them w/ the word "pants" (ex: "I find your lack of pants disturbing."). The site has not been updated since TPM, though, so no lines from AotC and RotS are up.

viper2843
Administrator

Post by viper2843 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:49 pm

I used to like NewsDroid.com and BanthaTracks.com. I also used to visit sites like JedisCouncil.com, Aldera.net, and Alderann Online.
viper2843
Webmaster
The Jedi Council

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:31 pm

Oh yeah... I forgot about NewsDroid.com and BanthaTracks.com. I definately liked both of those.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

Jedi Master
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Master » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:42 am

viper2843 wrote:I used to like NewsDroid.com and BanthaTracks.com. I also used to visit sites like JedisCouncil.com, Aldera.net, and Alderann Online.
Pretty much sums me up from the past as well. I can't think of any more right now, but if I think of one I will post.
Jedi Master - JediSource
http://www.therealjedisource.net

WhiteViper85

Post by WhiteViper85 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:23 pm

Too bad for them to go out like that, was it from inactivtiy

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:12 pm

Most of the web site owners had life changes and other commitments come up causing them not to have time or sometimes the desire to keep going.

I know I have been there a couple of times and have considered shutting down Galactic Voyage. It is just hard to go on for years being a web site's sole provider of money, time, and effort. It will wear you down. Especially if you go to school, have a real job, get older, have a family, etc. I have even had all of those things going on at the same time!

Sometimes the web site feels more like a job than the fun it was originally intended to be. I can see why others would close down.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

Abrynne

Post by Abrynne » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:42 pm

Jedi Power wrote:Most of the web site owners had life changes and other commitments come up causing them not to have time or sometimes the desire to keep going.

I know I have been there a couple of times and have considered shutting down Galactic Voyage. It is just hard to go on for years being a web site's sole provider of money, time, and effort. It will wear you down. Especially if you go to school, have a real job, get older, have a family, etc. I have even had all of those things going on at the same time!

Sometimes the web site feels more like a job than the fun it was originally intended to be. I can see why others would close down.
I just was nodding as I read everything you said lol I've felt that way as well. There have been times when I felt obligated to update just because it was a chore I had to do, and I hate that. This is where the stubbornness I've inherited from both sides of my family comes in handy. I've worked too hard and too long to actually get AMA to where it is, in less than a year I've had over 10,000 hits alone. That is freaking saying a LOT when you see what I started out with *cringe* (I had no idea what to do with graphics and links were everywhere...) So unless I get married and have triplets right off the bat or if I DIE I'm going to do my best to keep my site going. Because I'm stubborn like that.

The one site I remember well and was sad when it had to be shut down was AlderaanOnline.net (com?) Bryan did a great job with that site and he supported me a lot when I was first starting out.

Jedi Jin Su

Post by Jedi Jin Su » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:38 am

It is hard to keep a website going too. Especially when there is a lot of demand or there is no demand. I know with the amount of info or lack there is at times it can be frustrating. That is dedication and hard work for you. Just know that it is appreciated by us here. :)
"Always remember, your focus determines your reality."-Qui Gon Jinn, Jedi Master

T!mmy

Post by T!mmy » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:14 am

The Star Wars community was once a really exciting place on the web, and it's sad to see so many loved sites come and go. It was great to have made so many friends, and be involved in some of the projects that came about. It's what first got me really interested in web development.

Myself and Rob (of WOTF) were discussing the "good ole' days" some months ago, which was when we decided to bring back WOTF. If you guys aren't already aware; we're rebuilding the site (slowly) with a strong focus on community involvement. We hope through providing support and a wealth of resources, that we can pump a bit of life back into the webmaster community.

It's great to see that others still share the passion. :D

Cricket

Post by Cricket » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:00 am

Welcome back! Whoa! Joined in 2002 with ten posts. See, Jedi Power? LOL, Just kidding! :lol:

Craig

Post by Craig » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:52 am

Abrynne wrote:
Jedi Power wrote:Most of the web site owners had life changes and other commitments come up causing them not to have time or sometimes the desire to keep going.

I just was nodding as I read everything you said lol I've felt that way as well. There have been times when I felt obligated to update just because it was a chore I had to do, and I hate that. This is where the stubbornness I've inherited from both sides of my family comes in handy. I've worked too hard and too long to actually get AMA to where it is, in less than a year I've had over 10,000 hits alone. That is freaking saying a LOT when you see what I started out with *cringe* (I had no idea what to do with graphics and links were everywhere...) So unless I get married and have triplets right off the bat or if I DIE I'm going to do my best to keep my site going. Because I'm stubborn like that.

The one site I remember well and was sad when it had to be shut down was AlderaanOnline.net (com?) Bryan did a great job with that site and he supported me a lot when I was first starting out.
The force is strong in this one. :wink:

Abrynne

Post by Abrynne » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:37 am

LOL ....could be I suppose.