Star Wars TV Update

Discuss other Star Wars television shows and animated features (Droids, Ewoks, Holiday Special).
Jedi Master
Global Moderator

Star Wars TV Update

Post by Jedi Master » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:03 am

This article is a few months old but I haven't heard anything about it so I thought I'd update everyone else that may or may not have read this. This regards both the new animated series and the live action:
With his prequels behind him, Lucas has shifted his attention to two daring projects that could bring tie-fighters, tauntauns and Tatooine to a new generation of imaginers. First among them is a largely 3-D animated show very different from the recent, slick Genndy Tartakovsky "Clone Wars" cartoons but set throughout the same epic battles. "We've got a number of episodes finished now," he promised. "It looks really good. It's a lot of fun.

"It's that same time period," Lucas added of the show, which is being shopped to various channels. "But it's quite a bit more sophisticated, and it's not like anything you've ever seen on television before. ... [Tartakovsky] used his distinctive 2-D style to do [Clone Wars], but it was two minutes at a time, so it was a test-subject kind of idea. It worked and everything, but then we knew we were eventually going to do a 3-D animated series."

In 2007, Lucas will begin work on a live-action "Star Wars" show set during the 18-year gap between Episodes III and IV. "We haven't started yet; I start that next year," the filmmaker said, adding that he's determined to write an entire first season before shooting begins on the show that will star "background" characters from that time period.

"None of the Skywalker story, none of that stuff is in there," he explained, shooting down any depiction of a young Han Solo acquiring the Millennium Falcon or running with Lando Calrissian. "It's completely different. The animated series has got all the characters in it. The one that comes after, the live-action one, is with people who were in 'Star Wars,' but they're not the main characters."

Lucas said the plot will be steered by characters such as Tie-Fighter or Rebel pilots, most only briefly glimpsed in the six "Star Wars" films.

Mostly stuff we already knew or could guess but still a little more reassuring knowing the direction it's going! Here is a little more info I found on the live-action series:
Lucas stated at Celebration III that cameos by main characters are not totally out of the question. Daniel Logan, who played the young Boba Fett, has reportedly been asked to reprise his role as Fett for the new series by Lucas. Frank Oz, Ian McDiarmid, Hayden Christensen, Jimmy Smits, Wayne Pygram (Grand Moff Tarkin), Ewan McGregor and Temuera Morrison have expressed their interest in occasional appearances.

Lucas himself instructed the writers of the Star Wars: Republic comic book series not to kill off the Quinlan Vos character. This has led some fans to speculate that Vos may play a role in the series. Lucas had originally written a scene for Revenge of the Sith involving Vos, but ultimately, he only got a mention in the film (Obi-Wan explains to Anakin: "Master Vos has moved his troops to Boz Pity").

Lucas also explained that if this series (along with the planned 3-D Clone Wars) is successful, more television series may follow. He explained that he has considered setting the time frames of these possible shows during time periods far away from his films. When asked by a fan at his AFI lifetime achievement ceremony if this may include the Knights of the Old Republic/Sith Wars era, Lucas explained that is always a possibility, and that he may be interested in taking the franchise to those story areas one day.
Jedi Master - JediSource
http://www.therealjedisource.net

Jedi Jin Su

Post by Jedi Jin Su » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:54 pm

While it is rephrasing what we have heard it is nice to hear it from only a few months ago. I think now that a lot of the work is done on other projects he can re-think this one. I am sure like all writers a bit of time has to pass before ideas start coming along. I'm sure he would like to fill in some of the gaps that are left between the two sagas as much as anyone.
"Always remember, your focus determines your reality."-Qui Gon Jinn, Jedi Master