The End (Not So Much)

Talk about anything here.
viper2843
Administrator

The End (Not So Much)

Post by viper2843 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:11 pm

I have been giving this a lot of thought and I think we are nearing the end of the line for the SW Forums. It is no secret that the popularity of Star Wars has dropped severely since the end of 2005 and because of this, traffic to this site has dropped. There are very few conversations being started here and I don't really know a way to generating interest and new visitors.
Another factor to the slowdown is myself. I inherited these forums when I was a teenager and I am now graduated from college and working full time. I now have much less time to devote to the care and upkeep of the site. This has been quite visible for some time now, as I have been promising a new design for the forums but have yet to complete the templates.
The bottom line is the site is in decline and I am not sure I know what to do to fix it. All good things must come to an end and I think that we might be at that point for the SW Forums.
But I am not going to close the site until I gather some feedback on potential options for the site. I still firmly believe that the site can be saved some how but I need ideas on what to do. The only idea that I have is to re-brand as a non-exclusive Star Wars site. Allow other forms of discussion on other films and TV shows that are present in the science-fiction world.
I would appreciate any feedback and other ideas you have on saving the site. If their are no viable options, I will most likely shut down the SW Forums sometime this summer.
viper2843
Webmaster
The Jedi Council

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Re: The End

Post by Jedi Power » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:10 am

All,

I really hate to think this is truly the end. When the original host Jedis Council ended, the SW Forums did not. When the second host Webmasters of the Force ended, the SW Forums did not. This group has been together now for around 10 years or more and I hate to see this community die.

Viper, I well know how life can change and how Star Wars no longer seems to fit into the schedule or at least with the same amount of time investment. I think if we could get a sharp new look and re-advertise the boards to people it might make a resurgence. All we need to do is get people back here and get some topics rolling. Other than the very core group, no one has been coming lately. Lots have said in the past they forgot we were here.

Viper, I will be glad to learn how to opperate the boards and create templates if you will show me. If we need to move the SW Forums under Galactic Voyage for hosting purposes, it can be done as well, but I will need your help to understand how to get it moved.

What does anyone else think?
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage
"You've taken your first step into a larger world"
http://galactic-voyage.com

Doze

Post by Doze » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:57 pm

I think that this is only a slow time for Star Wars. My youngest daughter is 6 and my wife is a teacher. These younger kids are getting started with the new Star Wars things coming out now. If the live action makes it in 2011 there will be a new surge of fans to SW and the sites that are up and going with this new stuff will get hit. And an area to talk about thing only adds to these sites. Dude, pass the torch on this forum. Step back and when this next part of your life is in to its place you may wont to jump back in. Your just growing up a little, that will get old too and then you will want some of the things you left behind.

I would be willing to help. But at this time my job just went to hell and I think something very bad is in the works. So I will help all I can but if I lose my job/house the Internet is very low on my list.
Abomination – If Obama wins the presidency we will be 'an Obama-Nation'

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Fri May 01, 2009 6:14 am

Sorry to hear that Doze. I am in healthcare as well and we are really starting to feel the effects of the recession. We lost a few people in our department to cut-backs last week. I am glad I still have a job, but for how long will depend on the length of the recession I think.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

viper2843
Administrator

Post by viper2843 » Sat May 02, 2009 2:53 pm

So here is what I will do. I will make my best effort to improve the site over the next couple of months. I will see if I can finish the new style, add some features we've been lacking and bring in some new people. If that doesn't work we will revisit the available options. I also need your assistance in bringing in additional members to start posting. I am going to send out a mass email to see if I can bring back users.
viper2843
Webmaster
The Jedi Council

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Sat May 02, 2009 3:06 pm

Let me know what I can do to help Viper. What is the theme idea you have? Just a reminder, that The Phantom Menace celebrates its 10th Anniversary this month. I will be switching the site graphics to a Darth Maul theme.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Sat May 02, 2009 3:12 pm

Oooo. Just had an idea. What about some sort of contest to bring people in. Maybe a scavenger hunt of the treads to find clues. You could post little "Key words" maybe in a color like red so they aren't to hard to find. At least that will make people look through existing treads and maybe get them interested. We can strategically place them in threads we think will be popular to get some new conversations jump started. What do you all think?
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

Jedi Jin Su

Post by Jedi Jin Su » Mon May 04, 2009 9:11 am

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been on much, but it has been pretty quiet when I do check in. Like everyone work changes and all have been leading to lifestyle changes.

I think a few updates would be fun and a scavenger hunt would/could be fun as well. You could also try trivia. People like that a lot.
"Always remember, your focus determines your reality."-Qui Gon Jinn, Jedi Master

viper2843
Administrator

Post by viper2843 » Mon May 04, 2009 7:20 pm

I like the trivia idea. I think for the 10th anniversary of TPM we should create a trivia quiz for the film. Anyone interesting in making some questions?
viper2843
Webmaster
The Jedi Council

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Mon May 04, 2009 7:25 pm

How many do we need?
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

viper2843
Administrator

Post by viper2843 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:57 pm

I would say 10-20 questions would be good.
viper2843
Webmaster
The Jedi Council

Jedi Jin Su

Post by Jedi Jin Su » Wed May 06, 2009 4:10 pm

You should make some really hard and then make some middle hard and some not as hard

How about 10 in each category?

I have the Star Wars trivia book that is really cool. I also have the SW trivial pursuit game. I am sure you guys know a lot more than the games though.
"Always remember, your focus determines your reality."-Qui Gon Jinn, Jedi Master

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Wed May 06, 2009 6:29 pm

Using those resources will make it easy to get questions and a resource for the player to get answers if they look.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

viper2843
Administrator

Post by viper2843 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:36 pm

Lets try to have the questions assembled by May 13 (A week from this posting). How do you want to gather the questions. Should we PM the questions to someone assemble and then have that person post them. I think they should be posted on the anniversary day. :D
viper2843
Webmaster
The Jedi Council

Jedi Jin Su

Post by Jedi Jin Su » Sat May 09, 2009 5:47 am

I can put together some questions this weekend and send them to you and see what you think. What would be funny, is that we are on the Council, so you would have to submit your answers, just like when Anakin had to be tested to see if he made it into being a Jedi. Then each level of completion would give you a trivia rank. What do you think?