The Future

Important News and Information.
viper2843
Administrator

The Future

Post by viper2843 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:30 pm

I have been hosting the SW Forums since January 18, 2003 and all this time we have been using the same forum software, phpBB version 2. While I have kept up with the security updates and bug fixes the amount of new functionality has largely remained the same. It has always been my plan to continue using phpBB when they released their new version. That time is now approaching. Version 3.0 of phpBB will be released on December 13, 2007.

Once phpBB 3 has been released I am not going to immediately upgrade the forums. This upgrade is a significant one and will take some time. I am going to try to upgrade complete before our anniversary on January 18, 2008. We can then celebrate 5 years being hosted in the same place with a brand new message board.

The upgrade to phpBB 3 will do a few things to the site that will take more time to change than the upgrade itself. The custom style of the forums will go away. I will have to re-write the style from scratch. Luckily, long time member Craig gave me some assistance a long time ago and I haven't forgotten about it. So for a few weeks, we will have to use the default phpBB 3 style until a new custom SW Forums style appears. The other changes I am hoping to fix as soon as possible. Things like our custom mods for spoilers, emoticons, etc should hopefully only need minor modifications in the new version.

I am mentioning all of this in a public post because I am looking for some feedback. I am assuming that you want this upgrade so please tell me if you don't. If there are things with this boards you don't like now, let me know and I will see if I can fix them in the upgrade. Basically I am going to try to bring the SW Forums up to date so we can continue to grow and prepare for the future and everything that it brings. Let me know what you think and thanks for staying with the boards for all these years. :D
viper2843
Webmaster
The Jedi Council

Son Of Skywalker

Post by Son Of Skywalker » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:15 pm

First, I think your forum managing is pretty much flawless. I think the way you're going about the upgrade is wonderful, and we should do it. I'm really looking forward to posting more from now on and on the new forums.

As for the future of JC, well, you probably already know my thoughts on that :wink:
Son Of Skywalker- Head Admin & Community Relations of EU Cantina.net

"I brought you here, for I am Spartacus!"

http://www.eucantina.net

Master-Backwash

Post by Master-Backwash » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:31 pm

Cool sounds like a great Idea to upgrade :D While we are in the upgrading topic, maybe we can add a 3-D art section to the forums, Cause I make models for Star Wars Empire at War mods, there okish. I just got a great new system called G-max. Its much better then what I was using. So when I finish a few models (and if this section gets made) post them up there for people to see, and in the and the it would be another great way to bring in even more poeple? And maybe with Galactic Voyage, me and Jedi Power have talked about that already though..... Its all still in the Idea stage..... :wink:
"A warrior knows nothing of surrender."
-Mandalore the Indomitable

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:00 pm

Sounds like a great plan. Thanks for all your hard work an dedication Viper!
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage
"You've taken your first step into a larger world"
http://galactic-voyage.com

Jedi Master
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Master » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:49 am

Good luck! ... You're gonna need it... :wink:
Jedi Master - JediSource
http://www.therealjedisource.net

Jedi Jin Su

Post by Jedi Jin Su » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:43 pm

That did not sound like a sincere good luck there Jedi Master.

I do hope for a smooth transition. Sometimes these upgrades can be difficult but not always. I am looking forward to it.
"Always remember, your focus determines your reality."-Qui Gon Jinn, Jedi Master