LucasArts President Resigns

Discussion on Star Wars computer games, console games, trading card games, and role playing games (RPG).
Jedi Power
Global Moderator

LucasArts President Resigns

Post by Jedi Power » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:46 pm

According to Kotaku.com, LucasArts has just confirmed that Jim Ward, longtime Lucas worker bee and current president of LucasArts, has resigned from the company "for personal reasons" and will be leaving LucasArts in a couple of weeks.

Ward, who began his career in advertising, started work at LucasFilm in 1997 as the head of their marketing division. In 2004 Ward was named president of LucasArts. No word yet on the reasoning behind his seemingly sudden departure or where he will land.

In my opinion, it looks like he was allowed to bow out of the job after all the delays and frustration with the upcoming The Force Unleashed game that has been pushed back a second time causing it to be released at least a year off schedule.

I provided TF.N with the news and Dustin didn't even give me credit. Booo! Who voted him in for Fan Club President anyway!
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage
"You've taken your first step into a larger world"
http://galactic-voyage.com

viper2843
Administrator

Re: LucasArts President Resigns

Post by viper2843 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:33 pm

I would be frustrated with delays too but that seems to be the trend in the past few years. With all of these complex, graphically detailed games coming out it takes much longer for them to be developed and management and marketing pressure the games to be finished on a schedule. They announce to early to create buzz and then have to let down the fans because of delays. The problem for game manufacturers is that the hardware is getting better every year and they are struggling to keep up with it. To make a game for the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and a modern PC is a tremendous technical challenge and the sooner that management, and the general public realize this, the less we will hear about 'delays'. I think we should announce games when they are ready, not when they are in the middle of developing it. Then maybe we will actually get games 'on time'. Just my two cents. :D
viper2843
Webmaster
The Jedi Council

Jedi Jin Su

Post by Jedi Jin Su » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:32 pm

I completely agree with you guys. If a game is not ready to ship it should not be announced. I understand that some things need to be marketed, there in lies the problem. I know a bit of the programming and debugging area and they know about 5-6 months out if they are on schedule. I think that is plenty of time for marketing. I think they should market no more than 3 months out that way no one will be disappointed. If they are unsure of a release date they can say coming soon or something or look for new titles...
"Always remember, your focus determines your reality."-Qui Gon Jinn, Jedi Master

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:58 pm

Publisher/developer LucasArts (Star Wars: The Force Unleashed), the video game division of Lucasfilm, has announced the appointment of Electronic Arts and Disney veteran Darrell Rodriguez as president beginning in mid-April.

Rodriguez is currently Electronic Arts LA's chief operating officer, where he oversees the studio's overall operations, product development and strategic growth for the studio.

The company calls him "an avid gamer," and notes he has worked on such titles as SSX On Tour, Medal of Honor: Airborne, The Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II and Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars.

Prior to his work with EA, Rodriguez has also held product development and production roles at EarthLink, Walt Disney Imagineering and the Walt Disney Internet Group.

Rodriguez's appointment follows the recent departure of longtime head Jim Ward, who stepped down in February after nearly 4 years heading the company.

Said Rodriguez, "I couldn’t be more excited to join such a dynamic and innovative company as LucasArts. The people are world class and the IP is the best in the business. To be able to work with such cultural icons as Star Wars and Indiana Jones and develop new franchises is like a dream come true.”
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage
"You've taken your first step into a larger world"
http://galactic-voyage.com