Star Wars Battlefront 3 Confirmed!

Discussion on Star Wars computer games, console games, trading card games, and role playing games (RPG).
Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Star Wars Battlefront 3 Confirmed!

Post by Jedi Power » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:17 pm

Mygen has finally announced something all you Star Wars fans have been waiting for! (At least I have) The mother of all Star Wars games is back again for its third installment!

"Free Radical scoops Battlefront
Friday 29-Sep-2006 3:26 PM World exclusive: TimeSplitters dev to create next installment in the best selling Star Wars series ever

The next installment in the massively successful Star Wars: Battlefront series is being developed by the UK-based developer Free Radical.

Our investigative reporters have learned that this is the fruit of the Nottingham-based studio's recently announced partnership with LucasArts.

No further details were offered from our sources, but after the massive success of the first two Battlefront games, we can't wait to see what Free Radical - with its years of experience working on shooters like TimeSplitters and GoldenEye - will do with the license.

When contacted Free Radical declined to confirm or deny its involvement in the next Battlefront: "I'm not currently able to elaborate on the details of our recently-announced deal with LucasArts," said Steve Ellis, a director at the studio, only adding that the deal is "a project we are very excited to have been given the opportunity to work on. It will be awesome."

Now the only problem I see so far is that has been announced for the 360 platform only at this time. As for us PC players, we can only hope they will continue the series for us as well.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage
"You've taken your first step into a larger world"
http://galactic-voyage.com

Mara Skywalker

Post by Mara Skywalker » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:28 am

I just saw your post. I've been away.......

My son is going to be so excited! He loves the battlefront games. I have a 360 so it will work out for me.
Somethings wrong. I'm not the Jedi I should be. -Anakin Skywalker

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:06 pm

I still play Battlefront 2 almost daily on-line. At least for a few minutes anyway. :wink:
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

viper2843
Administrator

Post by viper2843 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:20 pm

Stinks that it isn't for the PC. Hopefully they will add PC support and maybe the new Nintendo! hehe. :D
viper2843
Webmaster
The Jedi Council

Lone Trooper

Post by Lone Trooper » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:33 am

REALLY BF3. I love that game i've been playing it lately. I wonder what else they're going to add.oooooo i wonder if they might add something where you can build your own jedi and you can go into battle. That would be so cool :D 8) Do you think it will still be on the Playstaion ? I hope so.

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:17 pm

A title that successful will be released for all platforms I'm sure.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:21 am

Free Radical is still saying that Star Wars Battlefront III is listed as an Xbox 360 exclusive, but expect a full PlayStation World review to before the end of the year. I hope they will have better news for me as a PC user.

It is starting to look like the future of all Star Wars Next Gen games are going to be leaving the PC out which will also include leaving me out as a consumer. :cry:
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

Jedi Master Denbadaa

Post by Jedi Master Denbadaa » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:20 pm

WOAH, WHAT t3h FRUITY GUSHERS?! A Battlefront 3? I have Star Wars: Battlefront, and Star Wars: Battlefront 2.

Oh yeah, and I've heard rumors about it.

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Fri May 11, 2007 8:59 am

Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron

LucasArts has made an official announcement of the latest Battlefront installment. Star Wars Battlefront®: Renegade Squadron™ is the previously untold story of a ragtag ensemble of battle-hardened rogues and scoundrels assembled by Han Solo. Gathered to execute some of the most secretive operations in the Rebel Alliance's war against the Galactic Empire, the Renegade Squadron participates in battles spanning the galaxy. From the Valley of the Sith on Korriban to a dogfight in space through the remains of Alderaan, Solo directs the team on missions of sabotage, rescue and retrieval.

In development exclusively for the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron continues the immensely successful Star Wars Battlefront series, which has sold more than 10 million copies worldwide since its introduction in 2004.

The only original Star Wars Battlefront experience of 2007, Renegade Squadron delivers a new way for players to experience their favorite Star Wars® battles any way -- and anywhere -- they want. The game presents new battles and missions found through a never-before-told story, as well as an unprecedented wealth of personalization and customization options. And for the first time on the PSP system, Star Wars Battlefront players can team up or compete online with friends all over the world.

In Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron, robust customization options replace the class system seen in previous Star Wars Battlefront titles, allowing for millions of possible unique combatants. With weapons, equipment and abilities that players select themselves, no two allies will likely ever look or perform exactly the same.

Features

- Beginning with the evacuation of Yavin 4 (end of A New Hope) and ending with the Battle of Endor (Return of the Jedi), the original story features 11 battles as seen through the eyes of a clandestine Rebel team personally selected by Han Solo.

- Millions of possible customizations directly affect gameplay to an even greater degree than the predetermined character classes of previous Star Wars Battlefront games.

- Earn credits to upgrade and customize soldiers' attributes (health, speed, agility), equipment (weapons, items) and appearance (species, body, insignia, uniform colors).

- New maps include Ord Mantell, Boz Pity, Korriban, Sullust and Saleucami, plus new space battles at Kessel, Hoth, Bespin, and the remnants of Alderaan. Renegade Squadron also adds a second Hoth map, plus a new interpretation of Endor.

- For the first time, fly as heroes in space aboard the Millennium Falcon, Darth Vader's TIE Advanced, Jango and Boba Fett's Slave I, and Obi-Wan Kenobi's Jedi starfighter.

- New land-based heroes include Admiral Ackbar, Ben Kenobi (Episode IV), IG-88, Asajj Ventress and Kit Fisto. Fourteen heroes return from Star Wars Battlefront II.

- Renegade Squadron debuts B-wings and TIE defenders in space, plus A5-R Juggernauts, T4-B heavy tanks and mountable carrion spats on land.

- Enhanced space combat features a refined control scheme. For the first time on PSP, players can also enter capital ships as they did in the console versions of Star Wars Battlefront II.

- Expanded multiplayer allows for up to 16 players via Infrastructure and eight via Ad Hoc. (Star Wars Battlefront II for PSP featured four-player Ad Hoc only.)

- Also returning are Star Wars Battlefront staples Conquest and Capture the Flag (one- and two-flag varieties, plus new Hero Capture the Flag where the flag bearer plays as a hero).

- Infrastructure mode embraces community through leaderboards and profile pages, where players can display medals they've earned, their battle statistics and more.

For me personally all I can say is BOOO HISS!!! I have put down all other Star Wars games since 2004 and played Battlefront I & II nearly everyday since that time. Not only have they ruled out other game systems, but the PC was the original platform of choice that launched Battlefront's success. I do not own any game system, and I do not appreciate companies like LucasArts deciding that the massive processing power of the PC is no longer worthy of any of there upcoming games. I have been an avid Star Wars gamer since the first X-Wing game came out. Heck, that is reason why I bought my first computer, but I guess it is time for this 38 year old gamer to hang up his keyboard and joystick and live like a real adult. It looks like companies such as LucasArts would rather accommodate the new young fans who will by those systems versus older "original" Star Wars fans that made their franchise what it is. All I can say is POO DOO!!!!
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

viper2843
Administrator

Post by viper2843 » Tue May 15, 2007 1:23 pm

If its not for PC then I don't want to play it. That stinks. I liked those games. Why is it that so many games are going console only when they should be on the PC? I can't seem to figure this out. :cry:
viper2843
Webmaster
The Jedi Council

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Sat May 19, 2007 4:16 pm

The only thing I can figure is that there are to many variables with sound cards, video cards, monitors, processors, ram, etc. for them to deal with. In a platform like say X-Box, you know exactly what you are getting with each one. They had been doing PCs, so to quit know is taking the easy way out, but it probably is saving them a lot of money.

Making games exclusive to certain platforms seems like a poor marketing move to me. You cut out to many potential customers. I guess there hope is you either have multiple platforms or that you will buy it just to get the game.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

viper2843
Administrator

Post by viper2843 » Sun May 20, 2007 8:14 pm

As a programmer, I always get a bit annoyed when PC games are "incompatible" with certain video cards, sound cards, etc because Windows provides a standard API for these things (i.e. DirectX, DirectSound) and if the developers would just follow it correctly, and the hardware manufacturers implement it correctly, none of these issues would exist. I can see this happening when you are building for multiple operating systems, but not for only one.

As for games being exclusive for a certain platform. In my opinion, it is half a business decision and half a technological decision. Its a business decision because of the extra work involved in porting to other consoles. It is a technological decision because of the different APIs and architectures of the different consoles. The console that is closest to the PC is the Xbox because they both use DirectX.
viper2843
Webmaster
The Jedi Council

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Re: Star Wars Battlefront 3 Confirmed!

Post by Jedi Power » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:14 am

Kotaku.com has reported that UK developer Free Radical Design, the team behind Haze and the Time Splitters franchise, have closed their doors, apparently permanently, according to a number of inside sources. Why does that matter to us? Well, it has been long rumored that they were working on a Star Wars: Battlefront III game for LucasArts.

There may not be need for worry. The word is now that Rebellion may have scoped up the deal! Who is Rebellion? They were the company who developed the PSP hit Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron. There may still be life in this game after all.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage

Doze

Post by Doze » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:58 pm

It would be nice to know from LucasArts if they are going to Make this or not. I just don't understand why all the super spy of this. It's not like some one will make it because LucasArts is going to do it. And they could do the same thing here as they are doing with the Live Action TV show and keep saying in three years or so, to put off any one.
Abomination – If Obama wins the presidency we will be 'an Obama-Nation'

Jedi Power
Global Moderator

Post by Jedi Power » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:56 pm

It wasn't due to go to PC this time, so at least I hope somebody reconsiders that. I still play BF2 on-line nightly. I will be so crushed if it doesn't come to PC.
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage